Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats. My mouth is watering just typing those words. I have always been a Rice Krispie Treat fan, but let me tell you Brown. That. Butter.
When I had my daughter I instantly started thinking about all the fun memories I could make with her in the kitchen. I also thought of my own mom who had her “signature” treats. Her two in my opinion are her Chocolate Chip Cookies and her Pumpkin Bars! (I will share both.) So I had to ask what would my “signature mom treat” be?” I think it is Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats in my humble opinion..LOL!
These are NOT your average Rice Krispie Treat. The only way to explain it, is that the Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treat is elevated. The Brown Butter takes a regular childhood treat and takes it to the next level of delicious. The Brown Butter brings a flavor profile that is an outstanding pair with sweet marshmallow. Also that extra salt brings it to another level.
As always-add extra vanilla. It is literally the backbone for any dessert like this. If you skimp on the vanilla it will be sad. Don’t do it.
The extra marshmallows at the end are also very important. They weave a sort of marshmallow ribbon throughout the treat that set them a part.
What is you “signature dessert?” Let me know in the comments! You can always add Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats to your WOW recipes!
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 1/2 cups ruce krispies cereal
- 2 10 oz bags of mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- grease a 13x9 pan lined in foil (I use butter)
- In a large pot, place the 3/4 cup of butter and let it melt. Stir slowly over medium high heat. Butter will begin to foam. Once you see a light brown color, remove from burner. You will know it is ready when it is a light brown and a nutty aroma begins to come from the butter.
- Add one bag of marshmallows to the pot and stir until melted.
- Add salt and vanilla.
- Add rice krispies to pot and fold them in until coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add half of the second bag of mini marshmallows and stir themin until they are half melted. You should still be able to see them as "whole" marshmallows. This adds gooey bits of marshmallow in every bite.
- Pour mixture into greased foil lined pan. Use Butter wrapper to press into the pan.
- Once cool, use foil to pull the treats out and flip upside down on cutting board.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!